Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Royal WeThe Royal We by Heather Cocks
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Royal We was one of my favorite royal stories. I received a copy through Netgalley and was a little worried when I saw how long it was, but, it held my attention throughout the entire book. One of the best things about this story is the humor. Rebecca is the wilder of twin sisters from America who takes advantage of a foreign exchange program while attending Cornell that allows her to spend time at Oxford University. She meets Nick as soon as she steps on campus and little does she know she has met the future King of England. Rebecca meets some great friends and has a great time partying and working on her art, which she doesn't get a chance to spend a lot of time doing when at home working on her normal school work. She has a chance to see some wonderfully beautiful architecture while in England.

When Rebecca left Cornell she left behind her twin sister Lacy, the true royal watcher of the family. Since they were children she dreamed of being a princess and living in England but makes the decision to stay behind at Cornell because she wants to attend medical school and does not see the value in an exchange program that does not focus on her medical school aspirations. However, she does visit and becomes quite envious of Rebecca, or Bex's life at Oxford, especially her friendship with Prince Nick. We meet Bex the night before her wedding to Nick where things go back in time to tell the story of how they got to where they are when Bex is looking back at her decision to change her life and move to England to be with Nick. We see all of the prejudice she experiences because she is an American dating a royal. She has to handle the paparazzi, negative articles and the effects on her relationship with her twin sister.

I loved this story. I was so invested in it that there was one moment in the story that I was caught off guard and literally had tears in my eyes and that is not something that happens often with a book for me, especially a book that mostly is comedic in fashion with some romance. One of the most enjoyable facets of The Royal We is the relationships. Character development was pretty well done, but, for me the relationships described were the biggest win for this book. Bex had this larger than life personality and we lived this relationship with her, its ups and downs and all of the fallout from the things she experienced as well as the laughs as she had a great time. One of my favorite scenes involves a wheelbarrow and it was laugh out loud funny. I can only say I hope these two right more in this area because they have great chemistry and did an amazing job on this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Murder by Camilla Trinchieri My rating: 5 of 5 stars Nico Doyle returns in the fourth book in the Tuscan Mystery series, The ...